The #1 Oatmeal Cookbook – With 65 Oatmeal Recipes!
What Is Oatmeal?
Oatmeal is made of oat groats (i.e. grains) that have either been ground, crushed, steel-cut, or rolled. Ground oats are also called “white oats”. Steel-cut oats are known as “coarse oatmeal” or “Irish oatmeal” or “pinhead oats”.
There are Different Kinds Of Oats Out There. All the benefits mentioned above are actually for oats. Most people don’t think about oats – they think about oatmeal. In fact most people could not identify whole oats if they were sitting in front of them.
There are many different levels of processing of oatmeal. Generally the larger the “flake” – as in rolled oats or the bigger the seed or groat – as in steel cut oats – the less processed it will be, the more nutrients it retains and the slower it will be to digest. It will also be slower to cook though.
Most people think steel cut oats are the least processed since that is how the largest groats are labeled, but some of the most processed oats like instant and baby are also steel cut.
Why Eat Oatmeal?
I love Oatmeal For Various Reasons:
- Low calorie food; stops cravings.
- Provides high levels of fiber, low levels of fat, and high levels of protein.
- Stabilizes blood sugar and reduces risk of diabetes
- Removes your bad cholesterol
- Gluten-Free !!!!
- Contains lignans which protect against heart disease and cancer.
- Enhances immune response to disease.
- It tastes good!
- And Much more!